Here are the four key points for good skin repair:
- Cleanse the scar area thoroughly with a mild cleansing product suitable for damaged skin.
- Protect the scar daily in case of sun exposure with a sun protection SPF 50+, for at least 1 year.
- Take care of the scar by moisturizing it every day with a balm or a soothing cream. Avoid applying pressure to recent scars.
- Massage* the scar or weakened area at least twice a day with gentle, slow movements with an appropriate oil or cream. Massage of the scar should be done 21 days after the wound has closed and with the agreement of your doctor.
* Massage of the scar should be done 21 days after the wound has closed and with the agreement of your doctor.
To avoid permanent skin marks:
Never pull or scratch the threads or scabs. It is advisable to let the crusts fall off by themselves after having softened them by applying an emollient.
Article produced in collaboration with Dr Le Guyadec, dermatologist at Perçy Hospital in Clamart